1.03.2008

Iowa

I have to say, my cynicism is a little less at this exact moment than it usually is, but on the other hand, my non-cynicism is being completely overwhelmed by, like, meta-cynicism so there's that. I'm not talking about the Republican side, obviously, but watching Barack Obama give his victory speech, there are two overwhelming immediate reactions that I can't do anything to change. I tried to soften one or both with some Rogue Chocolate Stout, but it doesn't taste as it did when I opened it 4 days ago. But a sort of aged, rotting taste is kind of appropriate for my feelings so I'll keep knocking it back.

First, this is really genuinely moving stuff. It feels a little bit like watching an old history tape, and that is because I don't think I've ever seen anyone I really believed in before. What I mean is, I used to wonder when our icon was going to come along and this is really exciting, and fun, like Robert F. Kennedy or something. I'm confused because my temperment is usually so much more muted in terms of enthusiasm. I mean, yeah, these are obvious political platitudes but jesucristo, he just really seems like he means them. I mean, this could be a simple gift of his ability to speak and convince me that he's genuine, but I'm totally buying it. All my thoughts about Richardson being more qualified or Edwards being more angry don't really matter. This is, like, a movement. Hop on the train and roll on.

Second, I am overcome with dread. This not only looks like a historical video, it looks like the part right before the candidate gets shot. I cannot seem to shake this instinct that Obama is going to get killed somewhere on the campaign trail. So, I am pretty much writing this whole thing now to try and talk myself out of this shocking sense of impending doom, but it isn't working.

Oh well. Good luck, man, but the revolutionairies never make it.

No comments: